A US-based law firm specializing in redressal against violations of California state housing laws and rent stabilization ordinances.
Scope of Work
Complete support with:
- Document drafting for complaints, notices
- Research and ownership assessment
- Case file management
Owing to resource crunch, the firm struggled with the management of case files and case events calendaring, error-free complaints’ drafts and discovery documents, tracking of discovery responses. Additionally, the firm faltered with accurate research on the registration of the property with the Housing Department.
Cogneesol’s Optimization Solution
Cogneesol’s team of legal experts assigned to the client divided the requirements as per defined sub-processes and laid down specific guidelines for every document type. We created a standard set of templates for complaints and discovery documents. These included:
- Complaints drafts for:
- Tenants for an illegal rent increase, relocation assistance fee for no-fault eviction, and substandard premises
- Damages and equitable relief, breach of express contract and implied contract, violation of civil code §1942 and declaratory relief, illegally converted rented premises by the landlord (LAMC §12.26(E) (1), substandard premises illegally rented by the landlord and premises which are found to be substandard within the meaning of applicable regulations
- Drafting of discovery documents (RFPD, FROG. SPROG, RFD), civil cover sheet and summons, notice of depositions, notice of errata, notice of ruling, and amended complaints
- Research on county assessor website regarding ownership of the subject property and search for assessor’s identification number of the property
- Case file management, including management of CMC dates and hearing dates, filing of case management statements with the court
- Drafting of notice of default and notice of errata
- Scheduling and deposition dates management
- Discovery responses tracking and, meet and confer letters dispatch
The team delivers quality work within stipulated timelines. Over time, we have assigned them more tasks. They have played a pivotal role in the growth of our firm’s business.
Standardized templates for complaints and discovery documents & extensive research deliver accuracy and quality, enable recoveries of approx. $1000K.
We have drafted around 500 landlord-tenant dispute cases along with the initial discovery request in each case and have helped the client:
- Recover consolidated amount of $25M from landlords for violation of building and housing code rules and for breach of lease agreements
- Get more than $400 K in various cases related to judgment in relocation assistance to the tenant
- Have a landlord pay $250K as compensation for substandard unit and violation of Housing Department Building and Safety rules
- Achieve 99.9% accuracy and quality levels at both process levels and review levels
It is always a pleasure to learn that the work we do has positively impacted our clients and that they are happy to share their experiences.
As a result of heavy volume of cases, our office was fumbling on deadlines and case accuracy. When we onboarded Cogneesol, they conducted an exhaustive due diligence. Soon they introduced a structured plan to clear backlogs and work towards timely deliveries. We have gained immensely from our association with Cogneesol.
Through the last three years of our association with Cogneesol, we have come to depend on their drafting support completely. They are experts of various laws and regulations; their drafts are accurate and complete; do not require undue review efforts. They make it easier and faster for us to build our cases.
They understand the constraints of small firms and build the operating model on the basis of available resources. With an extremely smart team, they took over our case file management in record time and now work with complete ownership. Their support is timely, accurate and almost in-house!
Cogneesol’s legal experts have been our research team for over six years now. They form our big support for complex commercial litigation cases. We have come to depend on them for their meticulous research on every case. Our success rates have improved because of the research time they save us. Additionally, the cost arbitrage they bring has helped us pass on reduced rates to our clients.
Thank you, researchers, for your extensive research and inputs for the BC Court of Appeal case. I am happy to confirm that the firm could present a strong appeal thanks to the thorough drafted factum. Your strong understanding of the law and the related regulations give us confidence for stronger representation in the future. You make us a formidable team. Thank you!