across the world
Top Excuses Taxpayers Made for Missing UK Tax Deadline
With one self-assessment tax deadline gone (31 January) and the second one approaching (31 July), let’s take a look at some of the perfectly lame excuses and claims received by HMRC from taxpayers who missed the date over the past decade.
10. Caravan rental for the Easter weekend
9. I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a post box or get an internet signal
8. My dog ate the post … again
7. Claiming £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days
6. The hamster ate my post
5. I’ve been cruising around the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
4. A music subscription so I can listen to music while I work
3. Pet food for a Shih Tzu ‘guard dog’
2. A DJ was too busy with a party lifestyle – spinning the deck….in a bowls club
1. My mother-in-law is a witch and put a curse on me
All the above-listed excuses and claims were not accepted.
“We try to make it as easy and simple as possible for our customers to complete their tax returns. The majority make the effort to do theirs right and on time.”, says Angela MacDonald, HMRC director of customer services. “But, we still come across some unusual excuses and expenses which range from problems with a mother-in-law to yachts set on fire.”, she added.
She also said, “We always offer help to those who have a genuine excuse for not submitting their return on time. It is unfair to the majority of honest taxpayers when others make bogus claims. If you missed the 31 January deadline, get in touch with us now – the earlier we’re contacted, the more we can help.”
For help in completing your return, click here.
How Insurance Backoffice Providers Help Insurers Bridge Talent GapRead More
Biggest Legal Profession Challenges in 2022Read More
10 Money-Wasting Business Accounting Mistakes You Must AvoidRead More
Real Estate Accounting – Common Mistakes to AvoidRead More
How Outsourcing Can Upgrade your Insurance Business Virtues?Read More
Insurance BPO: The New Imperative for Insurance CompaniesRead More